Teach To Learn Inc. provides full services to families receiving DFO (Direct Family Funded Option) funding through one the nine Regional providers in the Province of Ontario.
What is Intensive Behavioural Intervention?
- • Children with autism face a number of challenges–poor social interaction skills, communication difficulties and developmental delays.
- • Intensive Behavioural Intervention (IBI) can help some children with autism. It's a structured approach to breaking down the barriers that isolate children with autism from the world around them.
What is involved?
- • IBI professionals work with children with autism– either one-on-one or in small groups. They use systematic methods derived from principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis to promote development and change behaviour. Research tells us that IBI should be commenced early because very young children can gain the most from this approach.
- • IBI is intensive. It typically involves between 20 and 40 hours of direct service per week. IBI is individual. Program goals are based on a thorough assessment of each child's unique strengths and needs. IBI is practical. The focus is on developing the skills each child needs for greater independence.
Who is eligible for IBI?
- • The program is designed for children with Autistic Disorder or a disorder considered to be towards the more severe end of the autistic spectrum. An assessment by an IBI program provider is required.
What role do parents play?
- • Parents are critical to the success of IBI. A parent training component helps parents assist their children in reaching their goals.
Options for families that are on the waitlist for IBI services?
- • Teach To Learn Inc. will work with families to co-ordinate services for their child depending on the needs of the child and the resources of the families.
Already have a team in place?
- • Teach To Learn Inc. will provide supervision services to families and teams that are currently in place. If you are a Senior Therapist looking for a Clinical Supervisor, please contact our Director for additional information.
- • Teach To Learn Inc. offers centre based sessions in Waterdown and Brampton. We also offer in home programming throughout the province of Ontario. As well many of our clients receive their therapy on site at community daycare centres and local schools.